Sunday, November 30, 2008

Poor little puppy


Our little 6 month old puppy Lexie is in the animal hospital in Portland. Saturday night I found her with a tube of my husbands Psoriasis medicine that she had been chewing on. She was being way to quiet so I went to find out what she was doing. Dogs are like children in that way. We're not sure how much she had but we called the Pet Poison Control and they said we should take her in immediately to the vet. It was 9 pm and the only place open is a 24 hour pet ER, ICU, hospital in Portland so we took her there. It turns out that the medicine can be deadly when ingested. It raises the blood calcium which then can damage various soft tissue such as the liver, kidney's etc. We were there until around midnight and we were told they would need to keep her for four days. They gave her activated charcoal and started her on IV fluids. They will do blood work every 12 hours to check the levels on her kidneys and liver.

Thankfully my friend Holly came over and stayed with Blake so both Tim and I could go. It was very traumatic. It turns out that I'm very attached to this little creature. I know that some would say "hey it's just a dog" but she really has become a member of our family. We went to see her tonight and so far she's had a little bit of the runs and her blood levels are just slightly elevated. If she stays the same we may be able to transfer her to our vet sometime tomorrow. We'll just have to see how the blood work turns out the next couple of times.

I really hope she is okay. I just can't imagine loosing her so early in her sweet little life. She has brought a great deal of joy, love and laughter to our home even if she is "just a dog". It will be good if we can get her closer to home. The hospital is about 45 minutes from here. I'm just glad that such a thing exists and is close enough to help. I'm up now because I'm worried about her being lonely and thinking we have abandoned her. I know it's not rational but it just is.

11 comments:

Corrine said...

i am so sorry! and no its not just a dog, those little guys just wiggle their way into your heart and become a family member and it hurts to see them so sick.

Yvonne said...

Oh, tonya, I am so sorry. I would never say, "just a dog"--I understand that he has become a member of your family. Please keep us posted.

Beth said...

That is so sad and scary. I hope that everything gets much better soon. Good luck.

Carrie said...

How is she doing now?

Tonya said...

Hi Carrie, thanks for asking. She's still in the hospital but the blood work is coming back better. They will now try getting her off the fluids and the meds and see what happens after that.

Melissa said...

I'm so sorry!
Never "just a dog"! We had two dogs in Oregon and I know how much they become part of your family. My kids and I still cry when we think about not having our sweet girls here...
I hope everything turns out okay!!

gmckibbe said...

Glad to hear that Lexie is doing a little better. Hopefully she will continue improving! How's Tim? Hope he's gotten some sleep since Sunday!

Chellie said...

i love your love for the little dog. you are such a sweetheart. you are doing everything you can... i admire that so much!

Kimberly Vanderhorst said...

Oh honey, I'm so sorry! Hope she's going to be okay!

Lee said...

Could we have an update please?

Hope all went well.

Nancy Face said...

I'm sorry! That is just so sad. :(