Sunday, March 28, 2010

Kaiser Medical Facility Tour

Alternate post title "Let's give the girl the run around for 8 hours while she is in pain"

It's probably wrong for me to talk badly about the company that I work but....

Yesterday morning I woke up with significant lower abdominal pain. This was about 630am. I kept hoping that it would just go away but no luck. So about 3pm, I had had enough. I called the advise nurse. She asked me a bunch of questions and then suggested that I go to the urgent care in Beaverton, So we dropped Blake off at grandmas and headed over. They did some lab work and I saw the doctor. My CBC was elevated and I had a slight fever. This made the doctor think that maybe it was my appendix . She wanted me to have a CT scan but they didn't have that at the Beaverton Office. So off we went to the Kaiser Interstate campus in Portland. We found the spot and they were ready for me. I had to drink a LOT of nasty stuff and after about an hour, I got an IV and they did a contrast CT. I do have to say that the Radiologist read it fairly quickly and then some doctor wanted to talk to me on the phone.

He said that my appendix was fine but I had enlarged lymph nodes on the right side and a good sized cyst on left ovary. This explained the pain but he wanted me to have a few more tests done. He sent me down to the Urgent Care in the same building. This was close to 8pm and so the urgent care didn't want to take me because they closed at 830pm. I then had to go to Kaiser Sunnyside Urgent care which is in Clackamas. By the time we got there, I had about had it. I was tired and hurting and frustrated that I kept getting the run around.

Luckily, they were ready for me at the ER and they were all very nice and very sorry that I had been put through the ringer. The doctor gave me pain medication. He was surprised that no one had offered me any all day. They then did a "not so fun" ultrasound to make sure that the cyst hadn't cut off the blood supply to my ovary. Finally at about midnight ish, they sent me home with a RX for pain meds. We got home about 1am.

Now I am supposed to take it easy for a few days and control the pain. The cyst will either burst (which I understand will be just delightful) or it will be reabsorbed.

It was a long day but I'm thankful it wasn't something more serious. It's painful but with a little help from my friend Percocet I will survive.


Beth said...

yikes!!!! that sounds miserable!I've had a catscan there, one of the worst days of my life. You were running all over, with out any pain meds, I wonder how often that happens? Good luck with the cyst. Hope it goes away soon without much pain.

Lyon Pride said...

I hope you feel better soon!

Kimberly said...

Oh Tonya - what a day for you!

Really hope it doesn't burst. That happened to a friend of mine and yes, it is quite miserable. =( She had multiple ones and they actually did surgery to remove them.

Will be praying for you!

Yvonne said...

What an awful day. I'm so sorry. I wish they had given you the pain medication a lot earlier--would have made the experience a little more bearable.

Hang in there.